Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Why Don't More People Fly the Flag?

In a 2007 survey conducted by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, 62% of the respondents stated that they fly the flag everyday. I find that hard to believe. I fly the flag everyday and on my street there are about 3 or 4 other houses that do as well. That's not 62% my friends. Okay, to be fair, the question included flying the flag at home, at the office or on the car. However, I don't see many car flags either, so unless there are a slew of flags flying at individual offices around the country, I think these numbers are skewed. They're probably skewed because people don't like to admit to, or show, a lack of patriotism.

The survey had some pretty interesting numbers as to the breakdown of race, age and political affiliation. 67% of Whites say they fly the flag compared to only 41% of African Americans; 71% of Americans 65 and older fly the flag compared to only 51% of Americans between the ages of 18 and 29; and 73% of Republicans say they fly the flag compared to only 55% of Democrats. Hmmm. I find that last statistic very telling. Although, remember, we are not supposed to question any one's patriotism (or so we're told).

I am sure a large part of the reason we don't see more flag flying is that people in general don't find it important enough to go buy a flag and flagpole, put it up and take it down everyday, purchase replacement flags, etc. To them it's more trouble than it's worth. A small percentage (at least I hope) of the people don't fly the flag because they find it offensive or are worried it offends other people. I have first hand knowledge of this fact and find it shocking that in America the sight of a U.S. flag on or near some one's house would be considered offensive. But believe it or not there are cities where this is the case.

Folks, flying the flag is important. Men and women have died for that flag and are still dying today. It conveys the freedoms we have and so to often take for granted – freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to live without fear that the government will take you, your family or your property away without due process of the law. Should flag flying be mandatory? No. The flag also embodies the freedom to choose not to fly it. Buy why exercise that freedom? It's not the only act to show patriotism, but it's one of the most visible acts. So, if you love this country and the freedoms that have been bestowed upon all of us, then show it by flying the flag.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said. Long may she wave!

republican patriot said...

I wave mine daily! Proudly I might add!

Christina G. said...

Though small ones, the kind you'd line your walkway with, I fly 3 from my railing, all the time, but I didn't always. I think a person almosts needs an epiphany or revelation or something like that, to realize anything at all about America. For me, it took 9/11.

People are involved in their daily business, which can be difficult enough, their personal lives etc. & just don't realize...we've grown up in this free country, are used to it & take it for granted.

Patriot said...

Well said, Christina.