Friday, January 9, 2009

Further Thoughts on Leon Panetta

Upon further reflection of President-Elect Obama's choice to head the Central Intelligence Agency, I do believe it's possible that Leon Panetta may end up being a good leader for this agency. He is clearly smart, capable and has excellent management skills. There is no doubt that the CIA has a number of quality intelligence executives that Mr. Panetta can surround himself with when making decisions. I also believe that General Michael Hayden, the CIA's current director, has ensured that those serving at the highest levels have the agency's and the country's best interests in mind. I actually like Gen. Hayden and wish he would stay on. I have always believed that a highly competent executive can and should surround himself or herself with other highly competent people in areas where their expertise is lacking. Clearly, one can debate whether the controversial programs employed by the CIA should be continued or scrapped. However, I do believe that when push comes to shove neither the Obama Administration nor the Democratically-controlled Congress will purposely and knowingly take steps that will endanger our citizens.

The concern exhibited in my January 7th post is largely based on a real and constant fear of a future attack on and inside this country. September 11th had a significant impact on me personally. I was flying twice a week for my job at that time and was only home with my family approximately six days out of every month. The horrific images of that day were burned into my mind. For one year after the attacks there wasn't a day that went by without me thinking about it. As normal with the passage of time, I don't think about it as much today but I still do from time to time. When I look at the clock and it's 9:11, I think about it. Whenever I see a movie or television show based in New York City, I think about it. Whenever my wife or I talk with our friends who lost their sister in the WTC, I think about it. What concerns me is that very few people think about it anymore, at least that's my perception; and I don't want our intelligence agencies to do the same in an effort to placate the critics who decry the methods our government has taken to protect our Nation.

I wish Mr. Panetta all the success in the world at leading, motivating and managing what is one of the most important agencies on the frontline of America's “War on Terror.”

No comments: