Thursday, December 4, 2008

Fly Your Flag on Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day - December 7, 2008

Sixty seven years ago, in the early morning of December 7, 1941, our country was viciously and brutally attacked by the Imperial Japanese Navy. At 6:00 a.m. six Japanese aircraft carriers launched a first wave of 181 aircraft. Achieving complete surprise, these aircraft bombed and strafed military installations and airfields all over the Hawaiian Islands, including the U.S. Pacific Fleet based at Pearl Harbor. Over 2,400 Americans lost their lives, of which 1,177 of them were crewman of the USS Arizona. Our once divided country became united in resolve and purpose that has not been seen since.

Most of you reading this post probably were not alive at the time and only know about the attack from history books, documentaries, or sadly, the movies. One cannot truly fathom what is was like to be there on that fateful day. However, this Action Report from Ensign W.J. Bush, a Commanding Officer of the USS Arizona, vividly describes his experience and gives insight to the horror and pain thousands endured:

“At about two or three minutes before 0800 Sunday, I was asleep in my room when I faintly heard a siren. Shortly thereafter I distinctly heard G.Q. I put some clothes on and went up from lower wardroom country to the second deck. Lt. C.T. Janz was sending everyone in the vicinity to shelter below the armored deck. I went down with Lt. Janz and about forty enlisted men. Before we could close the hatch, there were three violent blasts with flame and powder fumes entering the compartment. I then told all personnel in the vicinity to get out and go topside to avoid the gas. About twenty (20) enlisted personnel and myself went topside. I saw the entire ship forward of #3 turret to be a raging fire. I asked Ensign Davison about fighting the fire and he told me there was no water in the fire main. Shortly thereafter, Ensign Davison and myself got three boats clear of the oil fire on the water and picked up the men in the water who had jumped to get clear of the fire. We took several boatloads of badly burned and injured men to Ford Island landing and continued picking up men in the water between the ship and the shore. I took one boat alongside the quarter of the Arizona and waited until everyone gathered on the stern had been taken off. Ensign Lenning, Ensign Miller and Lt. Comdr. Fuqua made sure no one could be rescued from the after end of the ship before they left. We then picked the men up out of the water and put everyone ashore at Ford Island landing. Lt. Comdr. Fuqua took one boat and left to search the water for injured men. After sending all injured men to the dispensary, we took the remainder to the air raid shelter below Admiral Bellinger's quarters. Ensign Davison assisted me in directing the rescue work even though he was badly burned himself.”

We should never forget what our brave men and women of WWII sacrificed for our country. Congress has designated December 7 as “National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day” and each year the President urges by proclamation all Federal agencies, interested organizations, groups and individuals to fly the flag of the United States at half staff in honor of those who died as a result of their service at Pearl Harbor. To all who were at Pearl Harbor and other Hawaiian military installations that infamous day, we thank you for your valiant efforts and sacrifices.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My desire is to visit Pearl Harbor one day and the Arizona memorial. It would be even better to visit on Dec. 7th.

Great blog! I like it a lot and will check back again!

Patriot said...

Thanks Rebecca for visiting my blog. I am glad you like it. Would you consider becoming a follower? If so, click the "Follow this Blog" link on the left hand side.

I have checked your blog. I love history and thinks it's great. I will follow it. However, have a nice break from blogging over the Christmas holidays. All the best.

Anonymous said...

I like your posts. You don't mince words or beat around the Bush. I especially like your post about Patriotism.